In this twenty-first century of business, digitizing your company’s daily operations is no longer a luxury, but a necessity. You simply can’t continue keeping all of your customer information in physical filing drawers or doing your accounting on paper ledgers. To keep up with the fast pace of the modern marketplace (not to mention your competitors), you need to harness the power of a cloud-based business software suite like NetSuite.
As you transition from pen-and-paper or even more basic software to an advanced system like NetSuite, it’s easy to remain unknowingly ignorant of your new suite’s more intricate features. For example, you might become frustrated by the process of adding new information to your database if you have to go through numerous tabs, windows, portals, and drop-down menus to do so. Fortunately, NetSuite has provided an effortless way to overcome this particular frustration: Quick Add Portlets.
This simple but powerful feature could save you minutes or even hours of tedious work, making NetSuite an even more effective tool for your business. At SCS Cloud, our team of seasoned cloud specialists is here to help you enjoy everything cloud-based technology like NetSuite has to offer, from its broadest benefits to its most minute, yet important, functionalities. That’s why we’ve created our NetSuite Orientation series. These instructional articles teach you how to use NetSuite features to maximize your potential. In the following, we introduce you to the wonderful world of Quick Add Portlets.
Portal and Portlet Principles
Before you become a Quick Add Portlet connoisseur, you need to understand what exactly a portlet is.
To fully understand portlets, you need to know a bit about portals, the progenitors of portlets. If you’re familiar with science fiction, the world “portal” might conjure up images of doors to other dimensions or physics-defying pistols, but the technological truth is much more straightforward (although, to software lovers like us, no less cool). Technopedia explains: “a web portal is a specially designed website [or, as the case may be in cloud-based business software, an interface stored on a remote server] that often serves as the single point of access for information. It can also be considered a library of personalized and categorized content. A web portal helps in search navigation, personalization, notification and information integration, and often provides features like task management, collaboration, and business intelligence and application integration.” Essentially, your portal on NetSuite is your home base, the page from which all of your diverse functions can be accessed.
Your NetSuite portal is a veritable toolbox full of every instrumental imaginable you could need for your business. Each of the individual functions contained therein is a portlet, or a single part of your portal. Webopedia defines the term: “a portlet is a web-based component that will process requests and generate dynamic content. The end-user would essentially see a portlet as being a specialized content area within a web page that occupies a small window in the portal page. Depending on the content nature of the web site providing the portlet you could use this area to receive different types of information such as travel information, business news, or even local weather. The portlet provides users with the capability to customize the content, appearance, and position of the portlet.”
In a multifaceted software suite like NetSuite, your portal puts dozens or even hundreds of portlets at your fingertips, allowing you to swiftly access the information and features you need. By choosing, customizing, and arranging these portlets on your portal, you can create an ideal dashboard from which to drive your business forward.
What the Quick Add Portlet Provides
One NetSuite’s main advantages is the single database from which it operates and the versatile software programs it brings together, including PSA (Professional Services Automation), eCommerce, CRM (Customer Relationship Management), and ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning). Integrating these important programs means that you’ll be inputting quite a bit of information into NetSuite. At every opportunity, the software system endeavors to make data entry easier and more efficient.
In addition to ensuring you never have to type in the same information twice, NetSuite has created the Quick Add Portlet to make pulling up data entry forms as painless as possible. While you can certainly input information by manually opening the tabs you need, and this may be useful if you’re intensively working in a certain application, you can also enter it directly from your dashboard with the Quick Add Portlet. From this feature, you can record Case, Contact, Customer, Event, Lead, Task, and all sorts of other data.
How to Use the Quick Add Portlet
- Open your NetSuite portal. This page should be the first that appears when you log in and has a blue bar across the top with various tabs.
- 2Click “Personalize” in the upper right corner of the home dashboard, in the white area below the main blue bar.
- When the gray and black box appears below the “Personalize” button, use the left and right arrows to scroll, find “Quick Add” and click it.
- The Quick Add Portlet will then appear as the main portlet in the upper left of your portal.
- Move your cursor to the blue bar at the top of the portlet labeled “Quick Add: New Task.” When you do, a button with three bars and an arrow should appear in the right corner of the bar.
- Click this button, then click “Set Up.”
- When you do, a box labeled “Change Type” will appear over your screen. Use the dropdown menu labeled “Quick Add: Type” to select the type of information you’d like to add.
- Once you’ve selected the type of data you’d like to enter, click the blue button labeled “Save” above.
- The Quick Add Portlet will then adjust its layout and fields according to the type of information you’ve selected. Fill these out with the data you have, then click the blue button labeled “Save” below.”
- You can then repeat this process (Step 9) for data of the same type or, if you’d like to change the type of information you enter, you can update it by repeating Steps 6 through 9 and choosing a different option from the dropdown menu under “Quick Add: Type.”
With these ten steps, inputting any type of data is a cinch.
The Convenience of the Quick Add Portlet
You might not realize how much time, effort, and, ultimately, money you’re spending navigating through NetSuite in search of data entry fields. If you’re sitting down at your device ready to spend hours inputting customer data, doing so manually is fine, but if you’re in a hurry, the extra steps it takes to load these pages could be wasting precious time.
For example, you might use the Quick Add Portlet if:
- You’re on a phone call with a customer and they happen to mention that they’ve recently moved. In this case, you could pull up the Quick Add Portlet for Customer information and quickly modify their file.
- You’re cleaning out your desk right before a big meeting and find a lead’s information that you forgot to enter. To rectify this oversight, you’d use the Quick Add Portlet for Lead information and then get right back to your other work.
- You’re about to go to lunch when you realize your assistant needs to follow up with the new vendor you met with last week. While you’re thinking about it, you can pull up the Quick Add Portlet for Task information and remind him to make the call.
- You’re in a weekly meeting with your manager when she informs you that 100 people rather than 50 will be attending the conference planned for next month. Without having to unnecessarily interrupt your conversation, you can pull up a Quick Add Portlet for Event information and rapidly update the data.
In these and countless other situations, the Quick Add Portlet can streamline your operations. Accurate information is the lifeblood of your business. Being able to speedily enter or update it can make a major difference for you, your employees, and your company.
Share SCS Cloud’s Passion for Portlets
As you can tell, the SCS Cloud team is excited about Quick Add Portlets, as well as any other NetSuite feature that can help you optimize your operations. Our qualified, caring team can consult with you, custom develop your NetSuite system, implement your new software suite, teach you how to use it, and provide tech support to keep it running well. Check back soon for more NetSuite orientation articles and contact us today to schedule your free consultation!