If you own or run a business, you know it involves managing a million moving pieces. You’ve got to monitor your sales numbers for the third quarter while simultaneously tracking inventory for the week and preparing payroll. In this hectic environment, getting the information you need at the moment you need it becomes paramount. When spinning dozens of business-related plates, the last thing you need is to sit at a computer watching a loading screen slowly creep toward completion. Especially in this fast-paced era, this type of digital dilemma can become quite a conundrum.
Fortunately, as with most computerized business functions, NetSuite’s cloud-based business software provides a simple solution. With its innovative integration of PSA (Professional Services Automation), CRM+ (Customer Relationship Management plus), ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning), financial applications, and eCommerce software, NetSuite is the perfect tool to automate your data analysis. In addition to running reports with unmatched accuracy, NetSuite also allows you to schedule them, automating their creation according to your agenda.
Read on to learn how to schedule reports with NetSuite, why this offers distinct advantages, various ways you can use it, and how SCS Cloud can help. This is the first in our series of NetSuite Orientation articles, meant to help you leverage this powerful software to your needs and preferences.
As our video tutorial explains, scheduling reports requires just a few easy steps. If you’ve implemented NetSuite on your device and set up your reports functions, all you need to do is:
- Open NetSuite’s main dashboard.
- Click “reports” in the middle of the top blue tab.
- In the sales center portlet, click the report that you want to schedule.
- In the footer, click the “Schedule” icon. At this point, a new window will pop up.
- Enter the date that you want to run this report, along with the time. If the time you select is during peak usage hours (and likely to be more taxing on your system as a whole), this will be indicated to the right of the time field.
- In the subtab section, your email address will default as the recipient. This means that the report will automatically be sent to you. If you click the “Copy Others” field, you can add additional recipients to the scheduled report.
- If you want to include a custom subject and message with the scheduled report, you can type these into the “Message” subtab.
- To choose how the report will be sent, click the dropdown menu and select from the options (inline HTML, HTML in the attachment, CSV, MS Excel, PDF, or MS Word).
- If you need or want to attach additional files to be sent with the scheduled report, click the “Attachment” tab, then the blue button that says “Add,” and select one or more files.
- If you need a repeated or recurring report, click the “Run Report More Than Once” box under the “Start Time” on the main page. When you click this, you can specify if this scheduled report will be a daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly event, pick a day for it to be sent, and pick an end date if you’d like. NetSuite can send reports to you at a wide variety of intervals, including multiple times daily, only on certain weekdays, annually, etc.
- Once you’ve ensured that all fields are correct for your scheduled reporting needs, click “Save” to complete the process.
Repeat this process for each report you’d like to schedule. By following these basic steps, you can save yourself the hassle of dozens or even hundreds of manually generated reports and make sure you always have the data you need at your fingertips.
When to Use This Feature
There are literally hundreds of ways to use scheduled reports to streamline and expand your enterprise. For instance, you might do so when:
- Your accounting team needs daily updates on your spending.
- A supply vendor you regularly use wants an update on your inventory so it can prepare for the next order.
- You want to track KPIs (Key Performance Indicators, such as sales made, dollars earned, shipments completed, products bought, etc.) throughout the day or week without having to constantly refresh your dashboard.
- You want to start the day, week, month, or even year with a clear picture of your company’s statistics.
- You know that some large, comprehensive reports take time to run (although these will most likely be much quicker due to NetSuite’s cloud capabilities) and want to process these overnight, without affecting other digital functions.
- You need to remind yourself or your team to address a particular metric, analysis, or area of your company. As we explain above, you can schedule reports with specific attachments and messages telling you or your employees how to act on them.
Essentially, anytime it would be useful to snap your fingers and have a report in your hands is a good time to schedule one.
Benefits of Scheduling Reports
While you might not ever have thought to use it, this feature actually offers a number of key advantages. In fact, an IT enthusiast on the community platform, IT Toolbox, calls scheduling reports “the beating heart of…business intelligence.” The benefits of scheduling reports include:
- Knowing your data is up to date. When you open up a precisely scheduled, automatically generated report from NetSuite, you can feel certain that your information is up-to-the-minute accurate, rather than relying on yesterday or last week’s numbers.
- Being confident and prepared for important meetings. If you’re preparing for a major stakeholder meeting, high-profile event, or industry conference, sitting down and running the numbers you need right before you leave is probably the last thing on your mind. NetSuite can take care of this aspect for you if you schedule one or more pertinent reports.
- More efficient report generation. As noted above, you can schedule reports to be created at non-peak hours, so you have what you need without slowing down your other systems. In addition, NetSuite produces these reports in the background and simply emails them to you, so you don’t have to sit and stare at your screen while they’re compiled.
- Accurately tracking your progress and growth. Caught up in the fast, even frantic pace of modern life, you might forget to take a step back and look at the broader picture of your business. Scheduling daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly reports can prompt you to zoom out on your company and adjust your strategies accordingly.
- More effective project management. In today’s data-driven, digital world, virtually every employee needs information to do his or her job. Scheduling reports not only allows you to assign tasks according to a precise calendar, but ensure that your team members have the data they need to complete their tasks quickly and successfully.
These are just a few of the merits of scheduling reports. There are assuredly even more for your business.
How SCS Cloud Can Help
To enjoy everything scheduling reports has to offer, you’ll first need a state-of-the-art NetSuite system. That’s where SCS Cloud comes in. Our team of specialists is here to guide you through every step of transitioning to or upgrading your cloud-based business software. Our highly qualified consultants can help you determine what you need, our custom development team can design an innovative system that suits your exact specifications, and our seasoned implementation gurus can help you ensure your personalized NetSuite programs function exactly as they should. We also offer tech support and training to assist you and your team as you learn all of NetSuite’s intricate features (including scheduling reports!).
Now Schedule a Consultation with Our Team!
You know how to schedule reports in NetSuite – now let us help you use this knowledge to make a real difference in your business. Contact SCS Cloud today to schedule your free consultation with our cloud masters.